The Justice Department is planning to announce charges Thursday against North Korean nationals who U.S. authorities have accused of being behind the massive hack of Sony in 2014 and the Wannacry ransomware attack lack year, sources told ABC News.
In 2014, hackers attacked Sony Pictures Entertainment, releasing a trove of emails and stealing personal data from company executives.
The hackers also threatened to attack theaters screening “The Interview” — a fictional comedy about two Americans who are asked to assassinate North Korean leader Kim Jong-un — leading several major chains to pull the film from their lineups and Sony to cancel its Christmas Day 2014 release date.
Last year, the Wannacry cyber attack crippled computers around the world. It was first detected in Europe on the morning of May 12, 2017, and by May 15, the attack had hit more than 200,000 hospitals, corporations, government agencies and other organizations in 150 countries. In December, the White House formally blamed North Korea for the Wannacry attack.
While U.S. officials have long said that North Korea was responsible for both incidents, the Justice Department is expected to formally announce the charges against North Korean nationals during a press conference in Los Angeles on Thursday afternoon.
“Kim Jong Un of North Korea proclaims “unwavering faith in President Trump.” Thank you to Chairman Kim. We will get it done together!” Trump tweeted.
Kim Jong Un of North Korea proclaims “unwavering faith in President Trump.” Thank you to Chairman Kim. We will get it done together!
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) September 6, 2018
This is a developing story. Check back for updates.